Oregon Gem and Mineral Shows

Wayne has been fascinated by his love for rocks since he was a small boy in Trenton, North Dakota. He moved from North Dakota to Oregon, in 1937, at the age of 11. When his parents made the move to Oregon due to the great depression of the 1930's and also those years with weather conditions being what they were it was nearly impossible to make a living ranching.

Soon after they arrived in Oregon they chose the Canby, Oregon City area for their home. The three of them made frequent visits to the coast and those trips only sparked his love of collecting rocks. Oregon offers such a wide variety of collectable materials, His love and knowledge of them has grown over the years taking him into many different areas. Rock Hounds are like magnets they attract others to them.

Wayne has spent many hours sharing his knowledge and materials with school children and scout groups around the area. It is hard to say who enjoys those sessions more Wayne or the children.

When Wayne and I were married it was a given that I would share his special love of rocks. Sure enough we have and we have tried to expand that love to each of you.

The idea for our Gem, Mineral, Jewelry, & Fossil Shows started back in January 1982. One evening Wayne & I were talking about how wonderful it would be to have a Rock Show on this side of the mountains. He had not missed one of the Madras and Prineville shows in years. Both shows were always so close together during the Summer time, but nothing close to the Portland, Salem areas. So we jumped in with both feet and Labor Day Weekend September 3,4,5, 1983 we had our first Willamette Valley Gem, Mineral, Jewelry, & Fossil Show, holding it at the Clackamas County Fairgrounds, in Canby, Oregon. It was an outdoor event and was held in the Carnival area just inside the main gate.

The 1st 2 years we had a problem getting someone to do the cooking for our event.

So Wayne and I got the permits and food stocked and I did the food booth. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, as my profession was a cook. It was a challenge as Wayne & I didn't have a work force to draw from. Looking back those were very special times. Everyone is like a unique member of our family.

The 1st show started on Saturday so it would run through the holiday that falls on Monday. We have made changes on the show, but not the hours they have remained the same which are Sat. & Sun. 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, Mon. 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Our 2nd Show was Labor Day 1984 & we enlarged it and used the pavilion building as well as the Carnival area. That wasn't a good move it divided the show making it impossible to continue.

The 4- H building was added to the show in 1985 due to the request of several of our vendors that carried merchandise of a more delicate nature. It was a wonderful choice then we were able to increase the size and quality of the show. Our show now takes in the Horning Hall, 4- H building as well as our original carnival are. We are very happy to say we have made so many wonderful friends over the 30 years. Our admission at the gate is still the same price a (SMILE). Thank you each & everyone of you for helping to make our dream come true.